Thursday, September 16, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday - Pictures Are Priceless


Hommer Handy

One of my favorite treasured items I don't even have, my Aunt Irene does.  After Callie Handy, her mother and my grandmother died in 2007 she had two scrapbooks made of Callie's life and family.  There had to be two books made because Callie Handy lived to be 107 years old.  Since then every time we visit my Aunt we take the scrapbooks out to look at them and she tells us the stories behind each picture.  My great nieces, Callie and Mary who are only 5 and 6 years old have visited her several times have enjoyed getting the scrapbooks out.  Callie, my great-niece always loves to see the pictures and hear the stories of the woman she was named after.  

One of those pictures from the scrapbook is of  Hommer Handy, my grandmothers brother.  He was born in October 1897 in Patrick County, Virgina to John William "Will" Handy (1863-1947) and Nancy Annie Belcher (1860-1911).  There is only one picture of him, taken in 1915 or 1916 before he left for West Virginia in to find work in the mines.  He died May 28, 1917 in a mining accident and is buried in Patrick County, Virginia at the Belcher-Hall-Howell-Pendleton-Underwood Cemetery.  I wish there would have been more pictures take of him, but I guess one will have to do.


Treasure Ches Tursday is a daily blogging theme from GeneaBloggers. Each day has a different them to help give ideas to genealogy bloggers share information.




No comments: